Sunday, January 1, 2017

A Fresh Start

"New Year's Day... now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions.  Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual."   - Mark Twain

It's no secret that 2016 was one painful series of sunsets.  I lost count of the number of talented stars who had their lights extinguished, not to mention the number of innocent  lives taken in systematic racism and violence.  The Presidential Election of 2016 was quite possibly one of the most painful, embarrassing and devastating pile of poo to come out of the year.  On the personal side of things, I suffered one blow after another after another.  But here we are in 2017 and still we rise.  The smoke of last night's fireworks is but a faint smell in the air - farewell, 2016.


Resolutions have always been something I afford little significance.  Words, though quite powerful, are oft shown to be quite empty.  Resolutions are those empty albeit well-meaning words.  But maybe this year will be different.  Maybe this is the year I'm different.  Scratch that - I know I'm different this year - you don't walk through fire without a few scars, eh.  So let's put some weight to these words and force them to ring true.

1) I resolve to write Every. Single. Day.  (In this very blog!  Oh what lucky readers you are!!)
2) I resolve to read Every. Single. Day. (Even if it's just a sentence.  A paragraph.  A chapter. A novella. A novel.  Shoot... give me a nice tome on a snowy day and see what happens!  I will track these attempts in the blog entries as well.  Accountability and what not.  Facebook posts DO NOT COUNT. - On a related note, I resolve to resurrect Musings of  Bookslut)
3) I resolve to bring my query total to 100.  No more. No less.  I will query 100.
4) I resolve to sign with an agent or I will self-publish.  End. of. Story.
5) I resolve to cook more.  (Example... tonight I made tom khai gai... from scratch)

These are 5 simple (and do-able) resolutions. Bring it 2017...  I see you.  Let's do this.



***
01/01/2017  - What did I read today?!?!?!

Today, I reread for probably the 25th time Christina Rossetti's "The Goblin Market."  I'm not one who frequently turns to poetry, but this poem has vibrantly lived in my head for many a year now.  My favorite part?

"No," said Lizzie, "No, no, no;
Their offers should not charm us,
Their evil gifts would harm us."
She thrust a dimpled finger
In each ear, shut eyes and ran:
Curious Laura chose to linger
Wondering a each merchant man.
One had a cat's face,
One whisk'd a tail,
One tramp'd at a rat's pace,
One crawl'd like a snail,
One like a wombat prowl'd obtuse and furry,
One like a ratel tumbled hurry skurry.
She heard a voice like voice of doves
Cooing all together:
They sounded kind and full of loves
In the pleasant weather."

No comments:

Post a Comment